Rowing has brought huge benefits to the Western student-athletes and community since the team first began. Now a club sport, the team strives to make rowing available and accessible to all, regardless of experience or financial status. We accomplish this through a number of means, including fundraising and keeping participation expenses to a minimum to limit team dues. The expenses involved with running a growing team represent a constant challenge for a group that ultimately must count on being self-funded. Maintaining an operational fleet of racing shells is a multi-thousand dollar undertaking every year. The costs of race entries, trailering, regatta dues, gas, hotels and car rentals add to the financial burden. With increasing visibility of the program and a series of recent large victories in the conference and impressive showings regionally and nationally, the team looks towards a season of even larger growth and needs than years past.
The team has made great strides since losing school varsity funding, none of which could have been possible without support from our sponsors. We thank our alumni, family, and friends of Western Men’s Crew, and we appreciate your continued support to help us through another great year.
We have established an account with the WWU Foundation, the independent fundraising coalition of Western, where tax-deductible donations can be made directly to the team. 100% of the tax deductible gifts will be used to support our program. Without donor support, it would be impossible to cover race expenses, equipment purchases and travel expenses.
The Booster Club is a great way to become a part of Viking rowing. Boosters are our network of parents and alumni who help with outreach, fundraising, and other club efforts.
To get in the loop with our Boosters, email VikingCrewBooster@gmail.com
You may also donate non-electronically by requesting a donation envelope from Foundation
Call Sheryl McCrary, Assistant Director of Annual Giving at (360) 650-6443 or Jonathan Dymond, Assistant Director of Annual Giving at (360) 650-2562.
FUNDRAISING GOALS FOR 2015-2016
Donations intended for specific items can be handled either through the Foundation via the links above, or by contacting the team directly. The minimum donation amount for Foundation is $5, and any bit helps.
- A new/lightly-used Vespoli 8.
- While we are thrilled that our team is growing, that growth has greatly taxed our current resources. This new boat will mean more rowers getting more water time, and will allow our increasingly deep field of rowers to compete with satisfactory equipment. The 8 will cost a lump total of approximately $25,000, with payment options allowing an initial payment of $7,000 and subsequent payments of $6,000.
- 8 new Concept-2 ergs
- Rowing in lovely windy Bellingham, the team needs to have a more extensive set of training equipment. Expanding our erg number to accommodate our new team size is essential. Ergs can either by paid for by specific donation, or can be donated directly to the team. If you have an erg to donate and would like to talk about the logistics of getting an erg to the Men’s Crew in Bellingham, please contact us!
- 5 new Speed Coaches
- Speed Coaches are systems that provide information for coxswains, ultimately allowing us to train more accurately. Speed Coaches track distances, times, stroke rate, and provide other information essential to race preparation.
- 2 new spotlights and 1 set of walkie-talkies for coaches. There are a variety of smaller items like this that would be great additions to the coaching staff’s equipment locker.