WWU men’s crew is a fast-growing program located in beautiful Bellingham, WA. During spring 2017 the team comprised 30+ athletes with access to multiple racing shells and ergometers in our facility on Lake Whatcom. Bellingham itself is a vibrant town with an affordable cost of living and a variety of job opportunities.
A successful candidate would join our established coaching staff, including a dedicated strength coach and assistant coaches. The team is largely organized and maintained by our student-athlete committee, in collaboration with the sports club office of WWU, leaving the head coach dedicated to leading the technique and skill development of the athletes on the water. There is a stipend available with the position.
- Direct practices on the water and on land
- Design and implement a training program for both “on” and “off” season
- Enforce all sport and boathouse protocols for participation and safety
- Collaborate on planning and directing team competition
- Rowing experience at the collegiate level or above
- High school diploma or GED (additional bachelor’s degree preferred)
- CPR/First Aid training (may be obtained on the job)
- Valid driver’s license (in possession for at least 2 years)
- Valid Washington Boater Education card (may be acquired anytime prior to position start)
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Willingness to commit time to team practices, events, and travel
- Ability to perform minor repairs and adjustments to shells, oars, rigging, etc.
- Willingness to collaborate with athletes, assistant coaches, and WWU-affiliated administration
Please upload your resume below. Please include details of your rowing, coxing, and/or coaching career, as well as any other applicable skills or experience you may have, such as boat maintenance, rigging, etc. Be sure to include your contact information, and two references.
In addition, please include a short, paragraph long detailing your outlook and philosophy on rowing, and what it means to you. This personal statement should also include a brief description of your coaching style, team expectations, and any other pertinent information.